Frequently Asked Questions

What Administration of Justice courses should I take first?

With the exception of AJ111 (Advanced Forensic Science), none of our AJ courses have prerequisites. Students can enroll in any AJ class they have an interest in and there is no correct order of taking classes. For new students, probably the best choice would be to take AJ1, Introduction to Administration of Justice to get an overall picture of the criminal justice system.

What is the focus of the Administration of Justice Program?

The Administration of Justice Program prepares students for entry-level positions such as: Law Enforcement, the courts, and corrections.

During the program, students will be exposed to law enforcement strategies, criminological theory, forensic science, criminal investigation techniques, probation, and parole. Students will also have the opportunity to study in our crime lab where they will process mock crime scenes and analyze physical evidence.

What is the difference between the Associate in Science and Associate in Science for Transfer degree options?

The Associate in Science degree is a good option for those that may not want to continue onto a four-year university and plan on entering the workforce upon completion of the degree.

The Associate in Science degree for Transfer is a good option for those that are planning to transfer to the California State University (CSU) system. These Transfer Degrees are designed to provide a clear pathway for transfer. California Community College students awarded an AA-T or AS-T degree are guaranteed admission with junior standing in a program that is deemed “similar” within the CSU system. Although priority admission consideration is given to the student’s local CSU campus within a “similar “program, it does not guarantee admission to a specific major or campus.

What can I do with an Associate’s degree in Administration of Justice?

There are many jobs in the criminal justice system that employ people with an associate's degree. 

How can I get credit for an LAMC AJ course if I took a similar course at another college?

We look at the Course Outline of Record from the college you took the class at and compare it with our course. If the two courses are similar, you may receive credit. Check with a counselor.

How can I get credit for previous police or law enforcement academy training?

Yes. Up to 18 units of credit can be awarded for past law enforcement academy training. The academy training must meet the standards of Peace Officer Standards and Training Commission (P.O.S.T.). See a Counselor for petition information.

Contact Us


Enos, Kelly W.
Phone: (818) 364-7610