Frequently Asked Questions
What exactly is TRiO/ SSS?
TRiO Student Support Services is a federally funded grant program at LAMC. Therefore, in addition to LAMC policies, TRiO/ SSS is subject to federal legislation and regulations. It is a limited enrollment program, funded to service 152 eligible participants each year.
What are the eligibility requirements?
All applicants must meet at least one of the following eligibility requirements prior to acceptance into the program:
- First Generations- neither parent/guardian received a baccalaureate degree
- Low Income- federal low income levels can be found online with the US Dept. of Education.
- Disability- student must be registered with LAMC DSPS Office or provide documentation.
Applicants must also possess an academic need, which includes but is not limited to placement into developmental English or Math classes as the most need in addition to limited English proficiency, poor college grades, lack of education or career goals, ect.
What else are we looking for in a student?
It is required that each applicant:
- Plans to complete a degree at LAMC
- Plans to transfer after completing a degree
- Enrolled in at least 6 units
- Has a college GPA of 2.0 or better
Although TRiO SSS is designed as an extra support system to students, participants in the program must possess a strong desire to not only attend college but to be a successful student and complete their program. The ideal student possesses the drive to succeed but is still able to benefit from the services TRiO SSS provides.
Do you give students books or money?
TRiO SSS is not a â€œfree bookâ€ program or a â€œgrantâ€ program in the sense that every student will receive a direct material or financial gain from participation. TRiO SSS is no longer offering Grant Aid due to budget cuts.
What does TRiO SSS provide?
- Academic and transfer advising
- One-on-one and small group tutoring
- Visits to four-year colleges and universities
- Cultural and educational trips/events
- Financial, academic, career, and transfer workshops
How do I apply?
You can stop by the office in the Campus Center Building basement floor.
What happens after I apply?
Program staff will verify your eligibility and you will receive a phone call or email to schedule an intake appointment. You may be asked to provide additional documentation to bring to your interview.
In the intake, you will learn about the services offered, how the program works, and you will meet with the Coordinator or Advisor to complete a personal Educational Plan and Goals.
What is expected of me as a participant?
Participants must have 5 contact with TRiO SSS each semester and take advantage of services and/or events if they are to continue in the program. This includes receiving tutoring, academic or transfer advising, assistance with financial aid, attending workshops, etc.