Graphic showing Los Angeles Mission College's name and college logo.  Also included is a small photo of the campus quad and lawn.
Los Angeles Mission College > Academic Disciplines > Law > FAQ's
Law Department - Paralegal Studies FAQ's
1. What is the recommended order to take the Online Paralegal Certficate Classes?
2. How long does the program take to complete?
3. What are the Costs?
4. How much do the books cost?
5. Is this a full time school?
6. Do I have to come to campus for an orientation session if I do the online paralegal certificate program?
7. Is your Program ABA approved?
8. Are you accredited?
9. Do you have job placement?
10. What are the residency requirements?
11. What is the Summer session and Winter Session?
12. How did the online program develop, and why are there pages on different servers, ie.,, and
13. What kind of salary do paralegals earns?
14. Can I take both "on campus" and "online" classes?
15. Is the online certificate different than the on campus certificate ?
16. Can I obtain my AA in Legal Assisting at Mission?
17. How do I transfer to the UC or CSU system?

1. Answer: see below.

Law 10 - Intro to Law
Law 1 - Contracts
Law 11 - Civil Litigation
Law 12 - Torts
Law 20 - Probate
Law 2- Ptsp & Corp
Law 19 - Property
Law 16 - Evidence
Law 17 - Legal Writing
Law 34 - Legal Research
Law 13 - Wills and Trusts
Law 18 - Family Law
12 classes or 36 units

Back to top
2. Answer: Between 12-18 months.
Back to top

3. Answer: We are a California Community College, so the fees are $26 per unit for california residents, or $78 per class, for 12 classes, so it is about $936.

Nonresidents who are citizens of a foreign country must pay an additional $164.00 per unit tuition fee, plus a $1.00 student representation fee. Other nonresidents, those from another state, pay $154.00 per unit tuition, plus a $1.00 student representation fee. All students must also pay a $11.00 student health center fee per semester.

You may qualify for Federal Grants or Loans and should check out

Back to top
4. Answer: The textbooks are located at, for Law 1, 2, 10, and 19 you will use just one book, West Business Law which costs $113.36, - tht total costs of books are about $325, or so. You may qualify for financial aid, so contact them about fees/costs and books. You can order the books online, or come in and buy them at our bookstore.
Back to top
5. Answer: The On Campus Classes are held Monday through Thursday. You usually will take 2-3 classes each semester. Each Class is 3 units, and each class meets just one night a week, from 7:10 pm to 10:10 pm. The online program is entirely online - with no required meetings "on campus"
Back to top
6. Answer: No, if you live close to the school, and would like to get a tour of the campus, and our computer facilities, and meet the program Director, Prof. Jordan - you are welcome to do so, just call prof. J. at 818- 415-2015 to set up a convenient date and time for you to visit. Please read this if you are a new online student.
Back to top

7. Answer: No, Seeking American Bar Association approval is voluntary on the part of the institution. There are some quality programs that have chosen not to seek approval and Mission College for a number of reasons has chosen not to seek ABA approval at this time However, the ABA guidelines are useful in evaluating a program you are considering, and in helping you to decide whether a particular program will meet your needs. We have structured our program around those guidelines to ensure that your needs will be met. Mission College however does comply with State Regulations of Paralegals for California.

Here are some factors in evaluating the quality of a Paralegal Program. We believe Mission College has a high quality paralegal program.

Also, BPC 6450 now regulates paralegals in the State of California - and the new law states the paralegal should receive a certificate either from an ABA approved school, or a certificate of completion of a paralegal program at, or a degree from, a postsecondary institution that requires the successful completion of 24 semester units. ( Mission College is an approved post secondardy institution, regulated by California Law, and approved through the California Department of Education, and accredited through the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. (WASC)- in fact, we exceed the state requirements (24 units) by 12 units or 4 classes (our program is a total of 12 classes or 36 units)

Back to top
8. Answer: Yes we are a California Community College. Our Paralegal Program has stability. We have been graduating paralegals for 18 years since 1987, and we have only had two directors in that time. Prof. Jordan is the second director. (check out his biography, and his CV for his qualifications). Also check out the history of our program.
Back to top
9. Answer: We do help and assist our paralegals to find jobs. We help the student to write resumes, cover letters, and network with paralegal associations.
Back to top


To attend any of the Lo Angeles Community Colleges as a resident of California, a student is required to have been a California resident for more than one year immediately preceding the Residence Determination Date. The Residence Determination Date is that day immediately preceding the opening day of instruction of the semester session. Residence is defined as a union of act and intent. for more information see:

Back to top

11. Answer: The Summer Session is usually six weeks long, and starts in June and extends to the middle of July. Usually you can take one or two online classes in this accelerated time period. It will help you complete the Paralegal Program quicker and obtain your certificate. The Winter Session is usually five weeks long, and starts right after New Years Day, and extends until the first week of February. You can normally take one or two classes online in this period also. The on campus classes are only taught during the Spring and Fall Semesters, with only online paralegal classes being offered during the Summer and Winter, and of course, also during the Spring and Fall Semesters.  The Summer and Winter Sessions cover the same materials covered in the 15 week Fall and Spring Semester, and thus are accelerated classes.

Back to top
12. Answer: The online program first started as just materials online for the use of our on campus students in Spring of 1997. Then each year, and semester it progressed in its development over the last 5 years, and became a fully online certificate as of this summer 2002 classes. We have developed also with the aid of the web project, first started at Cal State Northridge, and now, in collaboration with Etudes Next Generation Learning Management System - Our program has a rich history over the last 15 years.
Back to top
13. Answer: A study conducted by the Legal Assistant Management Association shows legal assistant managers nationwide have an average salary of $81,151 this year. Meanwhile, legal assistant-paralegals earn $44,416 and legal assistant clerks earn an average of $30,345, according to the survey.
Back to top
14. Answer: Yes we call this a "hybrid certificate" - that is it combines both the on campus and online classes. Students can take entirely on campus classes, entirely online classes, or a "hybrid" - that is both.
Back to top
15. Answer: Absolutely not. In fact, when you get your "online certificate" - it will not mention the word "online" on the certificate. That is because the college considers the online certifcate, just another delivery method of education rather than by on campus classes, but there is no distinction made on the certificate. Both the on campus and online students get the same certificate. The assignments, quizzes, etc. for the on campus classes is the SAME as the online classes. We use the same webpages for the "on campus" and the "online" classes.
Back to top
16. Answer: Yes, you have to follow Plan B schedule for graduation. This includes additional lower division general education courses in natural science, social sciences, humanities, language, math, health and physical education. Consult with a counselor.
Back to top
17. Answer: To transfer to the UC System you need these 34 units. To transfer to the CSU System you need these 37 units. You need to consult with your counselor to work out your education plan to ensure you have taken the proper classes.
 updated: 8-23-05
Back to top

© 2000 - 2005 | Law | All rights reserved. | Last revised by Juan Chacon on August 29, 2005