New Students Receiving VA Benefits
Allow 5-7 business days for your application to be processed. Once your application is processed, you will receive an email confirmation with your Student Identification Number.
- Step 1 - Apply to the college. You will be redirected to the California Community Colleges website. Follow the steps provided to complete the online application.
- Step 2 - Complete the online application for benefits (VONAPP).
- Step 3 - Order official transcripts from all previous colleges attended and print out unofficial transcript.
- Step 4 - Once you receive your Student Identification Number, take the English or English as a Second Language (ESL) Assessment, as well as the Math Assessment. The Assessment process ensures that you will be placed in classes where you are most likely to succeed.
Assessment tests are available by walk-in Monday through Thursday. Visit the Assessment Center for office hours.
- Step 5 - Sign up for a group or online Orientation. Orientation provides important information about college resources such as Financial Aid, the Transfer Center, and Counseling.
Students can sign up for a group orientation in the General Counseling Office or by calling 818-364-7655. Students also have the option to complete an online orientation
. Once you complete the online orientation, print out the confirmation page and submit it to General Counseling.
- Step 6 - Meet with student veteran counselor to discuss education goals and develop an educational plan. To make an appointment, call 818-364-7658 or visit the Veterans Resource Center.
- Step 7 - Apply for Financial Aid. All students are encouraged to apply. Start by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov
- Step 8 - Choose your courses from the Schedule of Classes and register online.
- Step 9 - Get your benefits. If you are a Veteran, Active Military, Reservist or National Guardsmen, take your DD-214 or Military ID to Admission and Records to get priority registration. Review www.gibill.va.gov to learn about VA Educational Benefits.
- Step 10 - Certification of Benefits. Come to the VRC and fill out the request for benefits packet to receive your VA Educational benefits.