New Students Receiving VA Benefits
Allow 5-7 business days for your application to be processed. Once your application is processed, you will receive an email confirmation with your Student Identification Number.
- Step 1 - Apply to our college. You will be redirected to the California Community Colleges website. Follow the steps provided to complete the Online Application.
- Step 2 - Apply for VA Educational Benefits and obtain a Certificate of Eligibility through https://www.vets.gov
- Step 3 - Order Official Transcripts from all previous colleges attended and print out unofficial transcript.
- Step 4 - Take the English or English as a Second Language (ESL) and Math Assessment. The Assessment process ensures that you will be placed in classes where you are most likely to succeed.
Assessment tests are available by walk-in Monday through Thursday. Visit the Assessment Center for office hours.
- Step 5 - Sign up for an in person, group or online Orientation. Orientation provides important information about college resources such as Financial Aid, the Transfer Center, and Counseling.
- Step 6 - Meet with the Veterans Counselor to discuss education goals and develop an Educational Plan. To make an appointment, call 818-364-7658 or visit the Veterans Resource Center.
- Step 7 - Apply for Financial Aid. All students are encouraged to apply. Start by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov
- Step 8 - Choose your courses from the Schedule of Classes and register online.
- Step 9 - Get your benefits. If you are a Veteran, Active Military, Reservist or National Guardsmen, take your DD214 or Military ID to Admission and Records to get priority registration. Review www.gibill.va.gov to learn about VA Educational Benefits.
- Step 10 - Certification of Benefits. Come to the VRC and fill out the Request for Benefits packet to receive your VA Educational benefits.