NOTE: This is for Fall 2010. For my 2013 syllabus click here
Humanities 1 – Section 0301 – FALL 2010
Instructor: Michael Schuster
Office Hours: MONDAY 1:15 – 1:50 PM
Phone: (818) 364-7600 x4167
Time Out of Joint by Philip K. Dick
Reader ed. Michael Schuster
Student Learning Outcomes:
1. Identify various contributions by the humanities and trace their development of social and political institutions of our society such as class, ethnicity, gender, sex, and cultural orientation.
2. Explain how arts, music, and literature impact our society from pre-historic times to the present with significant reference to structure, metaphor, symbolism and subtext.
3. Identify key artists and analyze how historical, political and social contexts have influenced various types of artistic expression and influenced world art and literature.
During this semester, we will be discussing books, films, painting, and music in an exploration of major works of art. We will also examine theories which may explain why a work is considered exceptional.
1) Two (2) papers (Midterm/Final) 4 pages in length (max.) (45 %)
2) Response papers (7) each of them 1-2 pages in length (40 %)
3) Class participation (15 %)
I reserve the right to alter the number of assignments as may be necessary.
Finals: Our final will be on December 13, 3:00 -5:00 pm. A creative project or presentation may be substituted for the 4-page paper mentioned above, but you must first meet with me so that I may approve your substitution.
Cheating: Students caught cheating or plagiarizing will receive a “0” on the exam or paper.
IMPORTANT: To get the maximum educational productivity from this class, you will need to have the reading assignments done prior to the class period. I would also suggest that you actively participate in study groups outside of class.
Disclaimer: There may be subject matter, abusive language, or images that you may find objectionable. If you feel that some material may cause you to feel uncomfortable, speak with me for an alternative assignment and I will gladly comply.