LOS ANGELES MISSION COLLEGE
Department of Arts, Health and Physical Education
Number and Title of Course: PE 690 - Weight Training sec 2939 Spring 2012
Instructor: Steve Paredes
Hours Mondays and Wednesdays 700-825pm. Office time: Wed. 630-700 HFAC
Phone: 818-677-3205 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Course content is designed to emphasize physical fitness with special emphasis on muscular strength. Evaluation of individual needs and fitness programming are included. The student will develop muscular strength, endurance, and flexibility by applying sound training principles. The student will be able to create and follow a personal fitness program to enhance their overall fitness levels and promote life long learning
By the end of the semester the student will be able to:
- Show evidence of general strength gain in determined muscle groups of the body.
- Demonstrate proper lifting techniques inherent in different lifting styles.
- Describe programs designed to meet specific objectives, such as local muscular strength and endurance, postural (core) strength, injury prevention, static and dynamic balance, hypertrophy, and circuit training.
- Plan a program of activities to meet individual strength and endurance goals.
- Explain the benefits of weight training and other forms of resistance training in relation to fitness.
- Develop a system of record-keeping to demonstrate objectives.
- Basic concepts of strength training
- Muscle group selection and program planning:
- Training methods
- Record keeping
- Testing procedures
- Biomechanics of lifting
- Concepts of specificity in adaptation
- Program types:
- Core strength
- Hypertrophy general
- Circuit training
- Muscular endurance
- Warm-up, cool-down, injury prevention, and safety factors.
The student will be evaluated as followed:
1. Participation, performance, and attendance 50%
2. Assignments 25%
3. Workout Log 25%
Students are permitted three absences with no effect on their grade. It is possible to make up an absence with prior approval of the instructor. Two tardies count as one absence.
Grade reduction is as follows:
4 absences lower grade one full letter
5 absences lowers grade two full letters
6 absences lowers grade three full letters
7 absences receives a Fail
- Workout clothes must be worn. You will not be allowed to participate with open-toe shoes.
- No food or drink other than plastic water bottles
- Bring a towel
- All requirements must be met to pass the class
- Report equipment problems immediately to your instructor.
- Bring bags, backpacks, electronics at your own risk (lockers are available).