LOS ANGELES MISSION COLLEGE
Department of Arts, Health and Physical Education
Number and Title of Course: P.E. 295 Fall 2012
Instructor: Steve Paredes
Office: Mon 10 15am Hours: Mon/Wed 1035-1130
Phone: 818-677-3235 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Course content is designed to emphasize physical fitness and activities for individuals with special needs. Emphasis on muscular strength, cardiovascular improvement, and flexibility through adapted activities and individually prescribed exercise programs. Evaluation of individual needs and fitness programming are included. The students will show improved fitness levels by participation in modified exercises. The student, with the instructor, will be able to create and follow a personal exercise program for lifelong fitness
By the end of the semester the student will be able to:
- Show evidence of general strength gain in determined muscle groups of the body.
- Demonstrate proper lifting techniques inherent in different lifting styles.
- Describe programs designed to meet specific objectives, such as local muscular strength and endurance, postural (core) strength, injury prevention, static and dynamic balance, hypertrophy, and circuit training.
- Plan a program of activities to meet individual strength and endurance goals.
- Explain the benefits of weight training and other forms of resistance training in relation to fitness.
- Develop a system of record-keeping to demonstrate objectives.
- Basic concepts of strength training
- Muscle group selection and program planning:
- Training methods
- Record keeping
- Testing procedures
- Biomechanics of lifting
- Concepts of specificity in adaptation
- Program types:
- Core strength
- Hypertrophy - general
- Circuit training
- Muscular endurance
- Warm-up, cool-down, injury prevention, and safety factors.
The student will be evaluated as followed:
1. Participation, performance, and attendance 50%
2. Assignments 25%
3. Workout Log 25%
- Workout clothes must be worn. You will not be allowed to participate with open-toe shoes.
- No food or drink other than plastic water bottles
- Bring a towel
- All requirements must be met to pass the class
- Report equipment problems immediately to your instructor.