Welcome to Small Group Communication.
Favorite quotes to remember for this class:
1. “There is no growth without conflict”- Theorist Bruce Tuchman, amongst others, reminds us to not fear small conflict because conflict leads to growth and great ideas. Many innovative discoveries wouldn’t have come into existence without the time and effort groups put towards conflict management.
2. “Work first; friends (maybe) later”- The more you treat group members like business relationships the better your experience will be. Groups who are too friendly often end up not meeting deadlines and resenting their group members. You will need to invest time into getting to know one another but your main goal should be to be productive rather than becoming a friendly (social) group.
3. “It’s not cool to be chill”- It is vital that you hold yourself and others to a high standard. Group members can often find themselves avoiding conflict because they don’t want to be seen as being a “stick in the mud”. Often, a snowball effect of many problems occur because people want to maintain their “cool” status. If you have a problem with someone breaking the groups norms and/or goals; talk about it!
4. “There is a light at the end of the tunnel”- The course is challenging but over in 17 weeks. Choose your battles.
5. “Respect and trust are earned through punctuality; set and meet deadlines”- 1st, respect the diverse ideas and practices of others. 2nd, I highly recommend creating a group Google calendar with all group deadlines for rough drafts, homework assignments, presentation dates, meeting dates and times, project due dates etc...
When you form your group and are trying to come up with ideas for your philanthropy project, you need to remember the following rule:
You must keep your group as it's own entity. You can't have someone from the organization you are helping intervene as your leader and separate your group members. It is your job to approach your organizations with a plan that will keep your group members working together. You can use non group members but non group members cannot use you. I'll explain in more detail in class.
The following documents will help you throughout the semester. Please note that the time requirements for each presentation may be modified depending on the number of groups that we have in the class. I will be sure to give you specific guidelines before each speech in class. These descriptions are to give you a good idea of what will be required.
2015 COMM 151 Syllabus
2015 COMM 151 Schedule and Course Content
Surviving Small Group Communication
Sample Reflection Presentation From a Previous Class