Los Angeles Mission College
Culinary Arts FSM 101
Instructor: Alexandra Higgins C.E.C
The purpose of this course is to develop knowledge of principles and fundamentals of how a commercial kitchen works and dining room operates. Culinary arts 101 introduces food service training including demonstrations of cooking techniques, food identification, culinary vocabulary and terms, reading and understanding recipes, storage and labeling of food items, dishwashing, sanitation principles and practices, menu planning and used of commercial kitchen equipment. This course is to demonstrate and develop the student hands-on skills in the commercial kitchen. In addition to learning knife skills, cooking principle the student will learn sanitation and food safety principle and practices of keeping and maintain a clean and sanitary kitchen.
- Kitchen knowledge and experience:
- Sanitation and food safety
- Knife skills
- Ingredients, including seasoning, herbs and spices
- Tools and equipment
- Weight and measures
- Reading and understanding recipes
- Mise en place
- Culinary vocabulary
- Cooking methods
Course Objectives: The goal is to gain experience and understanding of ingredients, equipment, cooking techniques and service procedures which are utilized in the culinary and hospitality industries. The students will strive to develop speed time management consistency, efficiency, quality and teamwork while practicing the proper working methods of professional chefs and service personal in a commercial kitchen.
Methods of Instruction:
- Field Experience
Monday -by appointment
Friday- by appointment
Methods of evaluation:
Final grading for each student will be determined as a percentage of the total points available for the entire semester.
50%--Demonstrated proficiency in subject matter and the ability to demonstrate and to identify work with and maintain commercial kitchen tools and equipment. To understand and implement sanitary food handling procedures according to food safety regulations. To know and follow the steps of a recipe and be able to convert recipes and food quantities for efficient production.
25%--Will be graded for professional attitude and ability to work together as term. Working in a timely matter no foul language, ethnic slurs, or gang or sexist remarks or actions. Participation in clean-up, efficiency of completing work, tools and processional appearance.
25%--Class room exams, daily lab work and final written test based on sanitation and food safety.
Culinary Arts Instructor
Understand course objectives, culinary vocabulary, and career opportunities.
- Discuss class procedures and policies.
- Identify course objectives.
- Define culinary terms.
- Discuss how catering combines all four areas of food service.
SAFETY and SANITATION
Understand how to use and clean equipment found in a commercial kitchen in a safe manner.
- Demonstrate safe use of cutlery.
- Describe various treatments of burns.
- Describe various treatments of cuts.
- Discuss how to prevent cross-contamination.
- Explain the importance of good health for students.
- Discuss the danger zone for food.
- Pass safety test with 100% accuracy.
Weights and Measures
Measure and weigh foods and follow recipes.
- Perform portion control.
- Demonstrate knowledge and use of measuring devices.
- Differentiate between liquid and dry measurements.
- Increase and decrease quantities in a recipe.
Understand the role of ingredients in food preparation.
- Discuss how various methods of cooking change ingredients.
- Discuss how each ingredient affects the formula.
- Identify cultural differences with regard to ingredients.
TECHNIQUES OF COOKING
Understand the basic techniques of cooking and how they are used in preparing food.
- Discuss planning and organizing for food preparation.
- Discuss the importance of having everything ready before starting (mise-en-place).
- Demonstrate rough prep.
- Demonstrate using knifes.
- Demonstrate differentiate knife cuts.
- Demonstrate blanching and precooking.
- Demonstrate marinating.
- Demonstrate batters.
- Demonstrate food cleaning.
- Perform folding, whisking, and beating.