The Vocab list for this class is listed below. However, the act of writing down these words in your own notes with your own guesses along with the actual definitions is the best way to begin studying these words. Therefore, the list provided below is meant as an aid for double checking your notes from class and for finding out what has been added to the list when you are absent from class.
1. Take a guess as to what the word means based on context.
2. Reread the sentence with your guess to see if it makes sense.
3. Keep reading.
4. When you are finished reading, look up the word to see how accurate your guess was.
How to Remember New Words
VOCABULARY LIST 1.5 Dev Com 36 A Spring '14.docx
1. Say each word OUTLOUD with its definition several times.
2. Study your list 10 mintes every day.
3. Make flash cards to refer to over time.
4. USE it in your daily life. Pick a word for the day and find an opportunity to use it.
5. Carry a notebook with you to record new words and to study the old ones.
6. Every time you look up a new word, yellow highlight the new word in your dictionary.
This serves as a record of your learned vocabulary over many years, as well as a reminder of what words you still have not impressed upon your mind (like when you find yourself looking up a word that you have previously highlighted).
How to do the standard Vocab homework assignment
1) Write down the new word and leave at least two lines blank
2) On the third line below the word, write "My Guess." On that same line, write down what you think the word might mean based on the context in which you found the word.
3) Continue to read and add new words in the same manner as above, leaving space after each new word so that you have room to fill it in later.
4) When you are finished reading, look up your guesses in the dictionary and write down the dictionary defintion next to the word in the two line space that you previously left blank.
The reason for doing this assignment in this manner is so that, when you study from this list, next to each word you will have the correct definition and not your guess, which could be incorrect. This eliminates the possibility of learning a wrong or inaccurate defintion for each word.
YOUR VOCABULARY LIST