Due Wed., March 12, 2014
1. Purchase and bring to class the Los Angeles Times for Tuesday, March 11, 2014.
2. Study the new vocabulary - see the vocab tab for the updated list
3. Read Chapter 3, especially pp 134-147 and do exercises 6, 7, 8.
DUE Mon., March 10, 2014
1. Analyze the article titled "Prescribers Fuel Drug Epidemic" in the Los Angeles Times for Tuesday, March 4, 2014.
*Be sure to use the correct header in the top left corner of your paper
*Identify EVERY paragraph in the article
*Make sure your work is clear and legible
*Be sure, when you cut and paste the article to your paper, that you reassemble the article in the correct order (Notice the prefix in "reassemble").
2. Find 10 Vocabulary words in the article cited above and hand them in with your guesses and the dictionary definitions.
3. QUIZ #1 - on everything that we covered so far this semester.
DUE Wed., March 5, 2014
1. Purchase the Los Angeles Times
for Tuesday, March 4, and bring it to class.
2. Find 10 new vocabulary words in the article that was due for homework and which we reviewed in the prior class on Monday. Write down each new word with your context-based guess and with the dictionary definition. This needs to be handed in at the beginning of class with the correct header in the top left corner of the front page.
DUE Mon., March 3, 2014
Go to the Newspaper Articles tab to the left and click on the first of the three articles, dated September 15, 2011.
Print the article and identify each and every paragraph as either the Lead, Background, Detail or Statement according to the notes and lecture from last class. You can also use the other two articles on the Newspaper Articles tab as examples of how to do this assignment.
DUE Wed., February 26, 2014
Do the following in the textbook
1) Chapter 2 - Read pages 89 - 100
2) Chapter 2 - Exercises 10 - 12
3) Chapter 2 - Tests 2 - 7
4) Find 10 new Vocabulary words with their definitions (either from the textbook or the dictionary)
REMEMBER: NO CLASS ON MONDAY, FEBRUARY 24
DUE Wed., February 19, 2014
I want to be sure that you all understand the homework that is due when we return to class next Wednesday, Feb 19:
Chapter 2 – read and do exercises 1-5
Chapter 2 – read and do exercises 6-9.
Buy the LA Times dated Thursday, February 13, 2014 and read all the front page articles using the method that I prescribed for you in class.
As per the syllabus, buy the LA Times for Friday, February 14, 2014 and bring it to our next class on Wed. (you don’t have to do anything with it; just bring it to class).
Also, on Wed, February 19 (our next class), we will not meet in our normal classroom. We will meet in the Learning Resource Center, Room 250. This is the building with the water fountain in front of it, right next to the Instructional Building where we meet for class. We will have a short presentation from one of our librarians, and then we will have a guest instructor who will help all of us set up the on-line Lab Work that is part of this class. This is a necessary change in our class schedule due to the availability of the room that we need to use to get everyone signed up correctly with Reading Plus, the computer software for your lab work.
A word of caution: with regard to the novel that we will be reading in class, DO NOT READ IT. We will read A Day No Pigs Would Die in class together. Even though some of you might want to get ahead with your work, please believe me that it will be better for you if you wait till we read the book in class.
Lastly, visit my webpage through the school’s website so that you will be familiar with it. Here are the instructions for those of you who need them:
From the LA Mission webpage, click on the “Students” button
Click the green “Contact Professor” button.
Type “Drewes” into the search box and hit enter
Now you are looking at my very handsome photograph. Look below and see the menu of options, including the “Homework” tab, where I will do my best to list the homework each week and add other info as it occurs to me.
DUE Wed., February 12, 2014
Bring to class the Los Angeles Times for Tuesday, February 11, 2014.