English 28 Research Paper Topics
Art & Music
- Is art/music therapy the best form of treatment for specific disorders? Why?
- Is there a “film noir” revival in modern cinema?
- How does mental illness play a role in creativity?
- Should authors, artists, musicians, filmmakers etc... be held accountable if their work if it incites violence?
- Does 'death metal' music negatively influence teenagers? Does it cause more violence?
- How does the history of [hip hop, country music, other genre] reflect social trends in America?
- How did the invention of the camera affect the art of painting?
- What were the major influences on American architectural style in the 18th century?
- How have Western artists have been influenced by Eastern art and “Orientalism”?
Business, Accounting, & Economics
- How do ethical issues affect today's fashion industry?
- How has the fair trade movement affected the _______ industry?
- How has TiVo or streaming video services affected advertising and network programming?
- Do workplace wellness programs really help employees?
- Would a four-day workweek be beneficial to workers?
- Why should/shouldn't small farms be government subsidized?
- Why should/shouldn't U.S. citizens have the option to manage their own social security funds?
- Should prison be punitive or rehabilitative in nature?
consider today's justice system to be too slow. What improvements could
be made to expedite the system without sacrificing due process?
- What role does education play in reducing juvenile delinquents' return to crime?
- Is our criminal justice system racially biased?
- Should juveniles be sentenced to life without parole?
- Would an assault weapons ban reduce gun violence in America?
- Should there be harsher penalties for white collar crimes?
- What causes juvenile delinquency? Choose a theory from Criminal Justice or Psychology and apply it.
Current Events, News, & Politics
- Should women be allowed in military combat? To what extent?
- Who should/should not be allowed to drive and what should the testing process be?
- Is the Patriot Act defending us or invading our privacy as citizens?
- Can there really be "Net Neutrality" in a capitalist society?
- How are news organizations and newspapers influenced by their parent companies and how does that affect the information we get?
- What rights do airplane passengers give up by allowing themselves to be checked before boarding?
- Is Universal Health Care possible in the U.S.?
- Should we eliminate the Electoral College?
- What should be done to eliminate salary disparities between men and women?
- How should copyright laws be changed to address the impact of technology?
Earth & Environmental Sciences
- How does urbanization affect the natural areas of the world?
- Does climate change have an effect on the intensity of tornadoes/hurricanes/floods/other natural disasters?
- Can the agricultural biotechnology industry co-exist with the environment?
- Do we still need daylight savings time?
- How does overseas oil dependency influence our economy/ international policies?
- Should vehicle manufacturers be fined for making energy inefficient cars?
- Is animal extinction really such a bad thing?
- Should stores charge customers for paper or plastic shopping bags to cut down on waste?
- What could make nuclear energy safer?
- Is wind energy really that cheap? Is it effective? Is it practical? Is it safe for wildlife?
- Should teachers still teach penmanship and cursive?
- Should summer vacation be eliminated from the school year?
- Should parents who home-school their children be certified to teach?
- Do video games positively engage students with ADD or ADHD?
- Has No Child Left Behind helped improve school performance?
- Is single-sex education effective?
- Is arts/music education important in elementary schools?
- What can be done to help stop bullying/cyberbullying?
- Should Creationism be taught alongside Evolution as a viable theory?
- Should books that include racist or sexist language be banned from schools or libraries?
English, Communication, & Languages
- How did the Hollywood Blacklist affect movies and television in the 1950s?
- Does American media present an accurate picture of Islam?
- Should the government regulate privacy settings for social networking services?
- Should American elementary students be required to learn a second language?
- How does the modern Vampire novel compare with the 19th-century Gothic genre?
- What is the role of symbolism in the work of [Poe, Chekhov, Atwood, other author]?
- What social forces made the Harlem Renaissance possible?
- Are TV, magazines, and other media responsible for eating disorders?
- How have blogging, wikis, i-pods, and other methods of electronic transmissions affected the dissemination of information?
- How does mass communication affect politics, war, global awareness, and social norms?
- Does censoring the internet violate free speech?
- Should televised sexual and violent content be censored by the government? Are mandatory ratings a form of censorship?
Health & Biological Sciences
- How is added/artificial sugar harmful?
- According to the research, who can benefit from pet therapy?
- Should genetically altered food have warning labels?
- How will the use of PDAs and mobile devices improve the nursing field? What are the drawbacks?
- Do video games help or hinder childhood development?
- What is the 'grandmother hypothesis'? Do grandmothers help humans live longer?
- Does advertising to children contribute to childhood obesity?
- Should energy drinks be banned from high school sports?
- Are prescription pills the new street drug for teens? What can be done about it?
- Pandemics and the Flu: Media hype or serious threat?
there too much hype about toxins and the public health? Are mold, lead,
radon, food additives, and power lines really threats to public health?
- Equal opportunity for women in college/professional athletics
History, Philosophy, & Anthropology
- Did humans create the idea of an afterlife?
- What were the social forces that led to Prohibition?
- How did the labor movement bring about the work week as we know it today?
- Is the government doing enough to protect indigenous cultures in [country]?
- What is the historical basis for Americans to distrust socialism?
- Does the Information Age mean we are losing important historical information?
- How have Native Americans been treated in the past, and what has changed?
- What can be learned from the witch trials in England and the United States about mob actions and mass hysteria?
- Growing intolerance with contemporary American Culture religious cults
Math, Computers, & Technology
- How has technology impacted spelling and grammar over the past 5, 10, 20 years?
- How is technology impacting our children’s social skills?
- Should employers be allowed to monitor employees’ online activity at work?
- How has the concept of zero changed the way we think about our surroundings?
- Is there a mathematical equation for beauty and proportion? Should there be?
Psychology, Sociology, & Social Work
- Should men have mandatory paternity leave?
- How does body adornment exemplify a culture and its values?
- Do "beauty" contests (Mr. America, Miss America, etc.) serve any purpose in society?
- Is there a correlation to academic achievement, behavior problems or creativity and birth order?
- Is an addiction to gambling as serious as an addiction to drugs or alcohol? (pick any addiction)
Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: Have misdiagnosis’s caused doctors to
over-prescribe Ritalin? Should we develop new diagnostic procedures
(which ones?) to curb this trend?
- What differences, if any, are there in children who are raised by stay-at-home moms and working moms?
- Does society today still discriminate against working mothers who wish to have flexible work schedules?
fathers be allowed the same treatment as mothers in family court
decisions? Are mothers being favored too much because of the "nurturing"
- Road Rage: Why do normally patient people become impatient behind the wheel?
- Is attachment parenting good for healthy child development or is it just coddling them?
do men and women communicate differently using body language, and why
does it matter (in dating, the workplace, and social circles)?
- What impact do social media sites have on relationships?
Students may select an assigned essay from The Mercury Reader. Reflect on the reading to discover a topic that sparks a sense of curiosity and argument. Students must create connections between personal perspectives and with the ideas from outside sources.
- 5 pages in length
- Contain at least four outside sources
- Paper should display a strong argument remembering an event, and/or explaining concepts,
- Synthesize critical analysis about a topic
- It must use a sufficient number of textual examples--quotations followed by explanation and interpretation--as argumentative support
- Research papers should demonstrate the ability to understand, analyze, and evaluate personal assertions through a logical line of reasoning.
- Adhere to MLA standards and at least four rough drafts.
- Works Cited page