English 28 Research Paper Topics
Art & Music
- Should authors, artists, musicians, filmmakers be held accountable if their work if it incites violence?
- How does the history of [hip hop, country music, or other genre] reflect social trends in America?
Business, Accounting, & Economics
- Would a four-day workweek be beneficial to workers?
- Why should/shouldn't small farms be government subsidized?
- Why should/shouldn't Americans have the option to manage their own social security funds?
- Many law makers consider today's justice system to be too slow. What improvements could be made to expedite the system without sacrificing due process?
- Is the American criminal justice system racially biased or is this simply an excuse?
- Should juveniles be sentenced to life without parole?
- Would an assault weapons ban reduce gun violence in America?
Current Events, News, & Politic
- Should everyone in the United States be allowed to drive? Is it a privilege or right?
- Is the Patriot Act defending us or invading our privacy as citizens?
- Are news organizations and newspapers influenced by their parent companies and how does that affect the information viewed?
- How should copyright laws be changed to address the impact of technology?
Earth & Environmental Sciences
- Does climate change have an effect on the intensity of tornadoes/hurricanes/floods/other natural disasters?
- Can the agricultural biotechnology industry co-exist with the environment?
- Do we still need daylight savings time?
- Should vehicle manufacturers be fined for making energy inefficient cars?
- Is animal extinction really such a bad thing?
- Is wind energy really that cheap? Is it effective? Is it practical? Is it safe for wildlife?
- Should teachers still teach penmanship and cursive?
- Should summer vacation be eliminated from the school year?
- Should parents who home-school their children be certified to teach?
- Do video games positively engage students with ADD or ADHD?
- Has the No Child Left Behind policy actually help to improve school performance?
- Is single-sex education effective?
- Is arts/music education important in elementary schools?
- Should classic literature/books that include racist or sexist language be banned from schools or libraries?
English, Communication, & Languages
- How did the Hollywood Blacklist affect movies and television in the 1950s?
- Does American media present an accurate picture of Islam?
- Should the government regulate privacy settings for social networking services?
- Should American elementary students be required to learn a second language?
- How does the modern Vampire novel compare with the 19th-century Gothic genre?
- What social forces made the Harlem Renaissance possible?
- Are TV, magazines, and other media responsible for eating disorders?
- How have blogging, wikis, i-pods, and other methods of electronic transmissions affected the dissemination of information?
- Does censoring the internet violate free speech?
- Should televised sexual and violent content be censored by the government? Are mandatory ratings a form of censorship?
Health & Biological Sciences
- Are Electronic Cigarettes a safer option to smoking?
- Should genetically altered food have warning labels?
- Do video games help or hinder childhood development?
- Does advertising to children contribute to childhood obesity?
- Should energy drinks, fatty foods, and coffee be banned from high schools?
- Are prescription pills the new street drug for teens? What can be done about it?
- Are Pandemics and the Flu exaggerated media driven issues or do they pose a serious threat?
- Are the media reports about harmful toxins, mold, lead, radon, food additives, and power lines really threats to public health?
- Are there really Equal Opportunities for women in college/professional athletics
History, Philosophy, & Anthropology
- Is the American government doing enough to protect indigenous cultures?
- How have Native Americans been treated in the past, and have things actually changed?
- Growing intolerance with contemporary American Culture religious cults
Math, Computers, & Technology
- How has technology impacted spelling and grammar over the past 5, 10, 20 years?
- How is technology impacting our children’s social skills?
- Many employers are monitoring employees’ online activity at work – is this an invasion of privacy?
Psychology, Sociology, & Social Work
- Should men have mandatory paternity leave?
- How does body adornment exemplify a culture and its values?
- Do "beauty" contests (Mr. America, Miss America, etc.) serve a purpose in society?
- Is there a correlation to academic achievement, behavior problems or creativity and birth order?
- Has Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) misdiagnosis’ cause doctors to over-prescribe medications?
- What differences, if any, are there in children who are raised by stay-at-home moms and working moms?
- Does society today still discriminate against working mothers who wish to have flexible work schedules?
- Should fathers have same privileges as mothers in family court decisions? Is there an imbalance in the family court systems favoring mothers?
- Does hovering parenting skills negatively effect overall healthy child development?
Students may select an assigned essay from The Mercury Reader. Reflect on the reading to discover a topic that sparks a sense of curiosity and argument. Students must create connections between personal perspectives and with the ideas from outside sources.
- 5 pages in length
- Contain at least four outside sources
- Paper should display a strong argument remembering an event, and/or explaining concepts,
- Synthesize critical analysis about a topic
- It must use a sufficient number of textual examples--quotations followed by explanation and interpretation--as argumentative support
- Research papers should demonstrate the ability to understand, analyze, and evaluate personal assertions through a logical line of reasoning.
- Adhere to MLA standards and at least four rough drafts.
- Works Cited page