Voting Members Present: (Senators) Donna Ayers, Eloise Cantrell, Charles Dirks,

Pat Flood, Leslie Foster, Clive Gordon, Stan Levine, Vickie Oddino, John Orozco, Gary Prostak,

Janice Silver

(Exec. Members) Angela Echeverri, Louise Barbato, Dale Newman, Margie Long,

Gwen Walker, Leslie Milke, Michael Climo, Roxanne Dalrymple

Faculty and Guests Present: Deborah Paulson, Sonia Soto-Bair, Geri Shapiro,

Suzanne Ritcheson, Rachel Leeds, Tricia Johnson, Martha Soto, Enrique Gonzalez, Sandy Thomsen,

 David Jordan, Ruthie Grant, Bill Farmer, Debby Wong, Lorraine Manoogian, Said Pazirandeh,

 Bonnie Sherman, David Jordan, Cindy Cooper, Mark Pursley, Darcel Bowles

Voting Members Absent: Maria Fenyes, Terri English, Paul Kubicki, and Rick Scuderi

 

 

Los Angeles Mission College Academic Senate

Minutes of March 4, 2004

 

I.                    President Echeverri called the meeting to order at 1:40 p.m.

 

II.                Approval of Minutes (MSC FOSTER/LONG) TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF

                 FEBRUARY 12, 2004

 

III.             Officer’s Reports

A.     President (Angela Echeverri)

1. Here is the college president’s response to our motion from the last meeting on qualification for title V director.  “BE IT RESOLVED THAT THE MINIMUN QUALIFICATION FOR THE TITLE V PROJECT DIRECTOR BE A MASTER'S DEGREE FROM AN ACCREDITED INSTITUTION, AND

LET IT BE FURTHER RESOLVED THAT THE ACADEMIC SENATE BE ACTIVELY INVOLVED IN THE HIRING OF THE TITLE V PROJECT DIRECTOR.” Dr Barrera agreed that the director must have a master’s degree and that the process would be certificated, which would include senate involvement.

2. Education Master Plan: President Echeverri circulated a handout prepared by the senate executive committee recommending Mike Reynolds and Gary Prostak as co-chairs. This plan had been presented to the college president. The document included duties and responsibilities, an expected timeline, a resource person, and a suggestion for representation including  one person from each department/unit. Echeverri then requested volunteers. Leslie Milke suggested that each department chair forward a representative and an alternate. This was agreed upon by consensus.

3. ITAC Committee: This is a new, shared governance standing committee that will be responsible for making technology recommendations and decisions on campus. The academic senate will nominate six faculty members (including one department chair) to serve on this committee. The AFT will nominate three additional members (including on adjunct). Volunteers were requested. President Echeverri also requested volunteers for the Academic Exception Review Committee, The Honors Reception, and the graduation.

4. District Budget Committee: President Echeverri filled us in on the impact of the propositions that were passed in the recent election.  Proposition 55 will cover half of the future PE building. The District stands to receive between 20 and 40 million dollars from Propositions 57 and 58.  The District Budget Committee is advising colleges to prepare for  3 ,7, or 11 percent growth depending on the numbers. Mission would not need to do anything for 3 or 7, but   would have to increase by 88 credit FTES for 11% growth.

5.  DAS Proposals- Local Graduation Plan: This plan would allow individual colleges to develop their own additional graduation plans along with the existing plans A and B. People felt that this would create chaos.  By consensus, the Mission representatives were directed not to support this.       

           

B.     Treasurer: (Margie Long)

1.      Margie Long thanked all the faculty who had paid their annual dues and asked those who had not yet

    done so to get the funds to her.

2.      Scholarships: There is currently $3,755.36 in the Carla Bowman scholarship account. Long announced that there would be a new $500 scholarship donated by Byron Irive, a friend of Hank and Carla Bowman. The requirements would be the same as the Bowman Scholarship and would also be in honor of Carla Bowman. Next Long reported that she was having difficulty obtaining the donations for the Gallagher and Moss scholarships. She said that she would send a letter to request the $1000 check for the Gallagher scholarship; however, as there have not been any deposits to the David Moss scholarship recently, and she has no contact person to call, she requested suggestions. Stan Levine volunteered to follow up on this.

3.      Checking Account: She reported that there was $1,338.73 in the senate checking account, which includes $400 for the (4)$100 senate scholarships. A check for $23.96 was written to Louise Barbato to reimburse her for the refreshments for the February senate meeting. A check was issues to Margie Long for postage and scholarship registered mail.

 

IV.              Public Address

A.     Deborah Paulsen exhibited a piece of art entitled “Missing Student,” which was created by students, Francesca Loy and Brenda Krattinger. The art portrayed the student as a piece of cheese to illustrate how budget cuts were affecting our students. This artwork will be on display in the vice president’s office and then it will be sent to Sacramento as a part of a protest against the draconian budget cuts. There are to be over 200 such displays on the Capitol steps.

 

B.      Dean Martha Soto announced that she would be out the following week for breast cancer surgery. She wanted everyone to know that self-examination was essential as she was too young for mammograms. She informed us that she was in good spirits and planned to be back at work soon. She asked that we direct questions to Dorothy Mundt, her secretary, during the time that she was out.

 

C.     Commencement Committee Report- Pat Flood-reported that Farisa Morales would be the keynote speaker for graduation.  Farisa, a former student at Mission, presently attends Cal Tech and works at JPL.  The commencement theme is "New Frontiers" which was suggested by Joanne Kalter-Flink. The committee asked the senate to recommend a grand marshal, two marshals, and two ushers. She asked that we remind our students to apply for graduation, as it is not automatic.

 

D.     Cindy Cooper spoke in opposition to the adding of an addition graduation plan at District colleges who opted to do so. This issue will be presented for action at the March, District Senate general meeting.

 

E.     Margie Long volunteered to set up a plan to support Martha Soto with cards, messages, etc. Eloise Cantrell offered to leave a basket on her desk so that people could drop off of cards and gifts.

 

F.      Chuck Dirks reported on political actions. He announced that community colleges helped recruit poll worker throughout the state. He said that over 300 came from Mission College as part of a lab portion of the political science classes. “We have become a national role model,” he bragged. He announced that on Monday the 15th our students would go to Sacramento to be part of the protest against the budget cuts and that the ASO would help sponsor this activity.

 

VI.    Reports of Committee Meetings:

                                                                                                                                             A.  Staff Development (David Jordan):

1.      Etudes Training - Thursdays 4:30 to 6:30 pm, March 4,11,18, and 25th (LRC 234 or 205 - To be determined) (changed from Weds. because of conflict with Faculty Lunches)

2.      2.  Brown Bag Lunches -
a.
  DONE March 9 at 11:30 - Campus Center 4 - is "Restaurant Confidential and Etiquette" by Brandy McKay
b.  Richard Rains - Thursday, April 1st, 11:30 to 12:30 pm in Physics Lab - Room 1015 "The Spirit of Opportunity on Mars" - current and future exploration of our universe

3.      Faculty Lunch Talks
 a. Mike Reynolds - March 3 (Weds) - Culinary Arts Lab 1007 -  (starts earlier, at 11:30 am), lunch is at noon, on - "My Trip to Ecuador, and Galapagos Islands" - with slide presentation and observations" -
b. Cindy Cooper - March 17 (Weds) - Culinary Arts Lab 1007 - (starts earlier, at 11:30 am), lunch is at noon, and costs $10.00 on - "Health and Exercise Myths"
c. Rosalie Hilger - "Identity Theft" - April 14, 2004 - Culinary Arts Lab 1007 - noon - lunch costs $10.00

4.      @ One training materials and downloads
training in word, excel, power point presentations, and Office
see materials at
(http://profj.us/etudes/@onedownloads.htm)

5.      CCC Conferences
see http://www.cccconfer.org - live online participant training
meet and confer - CCC Confer enables communication and collaboration using the latest e-conferencing technology for all staff, faculty and administrators in the California Community Colleges system. Location is no longer a factor in deciding whether to collaborate and neither is group size. March 23, 2004 - 12 noon to 1:30 pm - LRC 234
Free Lunch at 11:30AM lunch in LRC 120 (downstairs LRC faculty/staff room)

G.     Institutional Effectiveness Committee: Mark Pursley, IE Chair, reported that the committee met on Thursday 2/26.  Members present:  Maury Pearl (Administrator), Abdo Malki, David Garza, Donna Ayers, and Mark Pursley. The committee discussed preparations for the upcoming unit assessment for Student Services.  Members of the committee will meet with representatives of the various branches of Student Services (including Admissions and Records, Financial Aid, EOP&S, DSP&S, ASO, etc.).  These meetings will include brainstorming sessions aimed at developing a list of Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) for Student Services.  The committee also discussed tentative plans for a workshop on implementing SLOs for faculty.  This workshop, aimed at preparing the college for the next accreditation cycle, is planned for fall.

 

VII.  Reports of Senate Committee Meetings

 

A.        Curriculum (Leslie Foster): Discussion took place in favor of removing specific CSUN/UCLA course articulations, at the bottom of course descriptions in the catalog.  It was clarified that this was not the general CSU: UC designation at the upper right hand corner.  A vote will take place at the next meeting.

On 2/20, Foster attended the State AS Curriculum Colloquia on raising the math graduation requirements for the A.A./A.S. degrees.  Most faculty there were in favor.  It was interesting to learn that Texas, Arizona, and Florida require at least one transfer level course (in math).  Also, apparently in 1986, the AS of California Community Colleges passed a resolution to raise the minimum math requirement to Intermediate Algebra.  What the State AS is looking at is changing the wording of Title V, sections 55805:  Philosophy and Criteria for AS Degree and GE and 55905.5: Types of Courses Appropriate for the Associate Degree.  They are “urging local senates to engage their campuses in a full discussion of the possible options and approaches for addressing the level of English and math courses required for graduation, as well as the advantages/disadvantages.” Foster reported that there seemed to be a consensus for one math class and one English class above the current level. It was agreed that there should be further discussion on this at the next meeting. Bob Smazenka could be invited from math as well as a representative from English. Eloise Cantrell suggested that we also get student input. Foster added that employers are wanting more math and English. Dale Newman suggested that the senate sponsor a forum to discuss this.

 

B.   EPAC: The committee met February 17 at Trade. Said Pazirandeh, our alternate, attended the meeting. Two equivalency petitions were signed off, one in biology was approved and one in administration of justice was denied.

 

C.  District Academic Senate: This was covered during the president’s report.

 

VIII.   Old Business

  1. Accreditation Midterm Report- President Echeverri first saw this document on February 25 at which time she forwarded it to faculty. It must be present to the BOT on March 10 and to the accreditation committee on March 14. The executive committee met with the president and passed along some written comments. The main issue was the shortness of time to review the document.

 

  1. Educational Master Plan: Chairs were asked to forward recommendations to Echeverri by next Thursday.

 

  1. ITAC Committee: Members were solicited for this technology committee. President Echeverri stated that broad representation was advisable.

 

IX. New Business

  1. Faculty Replacement for John Cantley on the Academic Exceptions Review Committee: President Echeverri asked for a volunteer and Leslie Foster responded.

 

  1. Volunteers for Honors & Graduation reception. Pat Flood informed us that we need six to eight volunteers for Honors on Friday April 2 from 5 to 6:30.   A sign-up sheet was circulated. The secretary will forward the list to the senate president and the graduation committee.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 3:00 p.m.

Submitted by Dale Newman, Secretary