GED® PREPARATION AND TESTING SERVICES
Adult & Basic Skills Education Department
Location: Learning Resource Center Building (LRC), 208
Why is the GED® important?
The General Educational Development GED® exam gives you the opportunity to earn a certificate that is equivalent to a high school diploma. This certificate opens new career and educational opportunities and also enables you to qualify for financial aid to pay for your college and career courses.
What is the GED® Examination?
The GED® exam covers four subject areas:
- Reasoning Through Language Arts (RLA)
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Social Studies.
Each area has a specific number questions and must be completed within an allocated time. You will need to receive 145 points on each of the four exams; you will be need a total of 580 points to earn your GED® certificate.
The GED® test is only administered on-line at specified testing locations.
Each exam costs $35, payable online with a credit or debit card or a voucher available to students enrolled in preparation classes at Mission College. The total cost for the test is $140. When you are ready to take the test, you can register for the GED® exams online at www.ged.com.
The GED® Program at LAMC Adult & Basic Skills Education Department
We offer free preparation classes to help you navigate the GED® exam. All preparation classes are offered in English and, if you plan to take the exam in Spanish, we offer a classes in Spanish.
The LAMC Testing Center
Los Angeles Mission College is a Pearson VUE authorized GED® testing center. This means that you in addition to helping you prepare for your exams by taking our courses, you can also take the GED® test at our campus testing center. The test is administered at the Learning Resource Center in the Library Building.
The testing dates and times at the LAMC location will be announced in the coming weeks.
Steps on the Day of the Examination
When you arrive at Los Angeles Mission College on the day of your test, come to the Learning Resource Center (LRC) Room 208
(Adult Basic Education and Noncredit office) and inform the receptionist you are there for a GED® test.
- The office staff will verify your appointment and give you a copy of the rules agreement to review and sign.
- You will then be asked to provide identification and your admission letter for the exam.
- You will be asked to store all personal belongings in a secure locker just outside the testing center. Personal items include but are not limited to the following:
- cell phones, hand-held computers, electronic glasses, any recording devices of any kind or other electronic devices, pages, watches
- wallets, purses, car keys, hats, and other non-religious head coverings (allowable exceptions being head coverings for religious or medical reasons), bags, coats, jackets, eyeglass cases, books, and/or notes.
- You can leave a majority of these items in your car, and simply lock up your keys and wallet in the locker.
- NOTE: Studying is not allowed in the test center.
- You will then be escorted into the testing room to start the test. A test administrator will remain in the room to proctor the exam and answer any questions.
Believe in yourself and be confident in your academic skills! We encourage you to take this opportunity trusting that your test preparation and hours of studying are finally going to pay off.
The LAMC testing center will provide you a professional environment that will help you achieve your goal.
OFF CAMPUS CLASSES
Click on a red book to see more information