Getting Started as an Online Student!
As you begin to explore online learning, the LRC would like to provide some advice and resources to help you get started!
Start to think about how and where you will work online!
- If you have a computer and WiFi at home, start to think about where you will be able to concentrate and complete your course work.
- You also will have the option of using your smartphone to access Canvas, though a computer using the Chrome browser is best option when available. For now, download the Canvas Student App from your phone or tablet's App Store.
- If you don't have a computer and WiFi at home, start to make arrangements to access these resources. One note is that Spectrum Cable will offer free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription and at any service level up to 100 Mbps. To enroll call 1-844-488-8395. Installation fees will be waived for new student households.
Canvas Quick Reference: Student Guide
Zoom Quick Reference: Student Guide
- Take a moment to review this guide to get an overview of Canvas.
Start to Plan Your Time
- One thing to know is that some instructors will still hold class at the scheduled time, it will just be online through web-conferencing rather than in person. So, it's a good idea to keep your scheduled class times designated for interacting online with your instructor and other students.
- Successful online learning also requires time management and other skills. Check out this article for tips on succeeding with online learning.
ASK FOR HELP!
- There are many resources available to you during this time, and Mission College wants you to succeed as we make this transition!
- Please check out the Mission Online! website at
- The Canvas Support Line can help with any Canvas-related questions 24/7. Please reach them at 1-844-303-5591.
- The LACCD is also setting up an Online Learning Call Center to help students and faculty with specific online education questions or concerns. The Online Learning Call Center will be open starting March 30th and will operate from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, using the toll free number: (844) MyLACCD or (844) 695-2223
- NetTutor online tutoring provides online tutoring in many, many subjects. You can access NetTutor by clicking the "NetTutor" link on the left side of the screen once you're in any Canvas site.
EMERGENCY LAPTOP SCHOLARSHIP (LA Mission College)
Distance learning (online education) begin Monday, March 30 for all LACCD students. If you are in need of a laptop to assist you in this transition, please apply now
to be considered.
*Current LACCD students selected as scholarship award recipients will receive laptops*