Degrees & Certificates
The Associate in Arts and Certificate of Achievement in Interior Design prepare students for employment and transfer to 4-year programs. Students study the elements and principals of design as applied to human and cultural needs for residential and commercial spaces, while completing courses in interior design history, space planning, building information modeling, digital drafting, color theory, lighting design, interior materials and finishes, sustainable design and the latest building codes including CALGreen and the American with Disabilities Act (ADA).
ASSOCIATE IN ARTS - Interior Design
Students who complete 60 units of interior design and general education courses can earn an Associate in Arts in Interior Design for transfer to a 4-year program or to pursue employment in interior design or architecture.
CERTIFICATE OF ACHIEVEMENT - Interior Design
Gainful Employment Disclosures - Interior Design
Students who have limited time or resources and want to focus on updating their job skills to pursue a career in interior design or architecture can complete 32 units of interior design courses to earn a Certificate of Achievement in Interior Design.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Associate in Arts or Certificate of Achievement in Interior Design, students will be able to:
- Prepare for an entry-level interior design project for transfer to a university.
- Analyze and apply the elements and principles of design as applied to human and cultural needs for residential and commercial interior spaces using communication skills and the latest computer technology to express ideas.
- Analyze and apply current standards for environmental and sustainable design, CALGreen Code standards, Universal Design, and the American with Disabilities Act (ADA).
The Associate in Arts
and Certificate of Achievement in Interior Design
offer identical interior design courses:
REQUIRED COURSES UNITS
Complete the following CORE courses:
INTRDGN 101 Interior Design Laboratory 1
INTRDGN 102 Introduction to Interior Design 3
INTRDGN 106 Digital Drafting for Interior Design 3
INTRDGN 107 Color Theory & Design 3
INTRDGN 110 Lighting Design 3
INTRDGN 111 Sustainable Design Fundamentals 3
INTRDGN 114 Interior Design Materials, Standards & Specifications 3
INTRDGN 115 Building Codes for Interiors 3
List A Select one (1) of the following courses: 3
INTRDGN 103 History of Architecture & Interiors I
INTRDGN 104 History of Architecture & Interiors II
List B Select one (1) of the following courses: 4
INTRDGN 108 Residential Space Planning
INTRDGN 109 Commercial Space Planning
List C Select one (1) of the following courses: 3
INTRDGN 116 Building Information Modeling for Interiors I
INTRDGN 117 Building Information Modeling for Interiors II
NOTE: A minimum of 60 units and a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.0 or higher must be completed to earn the Associate in Arts Degree. Always consult a counselor for information on graduation requirements, residency requirements and transfer information.
CERTIFICATE OF ACCOMPLISHMENT
Certificates of Accomplishment programs are designed for students who have limited time or resources to commit to a full Associate in Arts or Certificate of Achievement program and wish to focus on a specific skill in interior design. Students use “Skills Certificates” to update their job skills or learn new skills to prepare for a career in Interior Design. Courses in the Certificates of Accomplishment programs can be applied to the Associates in Art or Certificate of Achievement in Interior Design.
CERTIFICATE OF ACCOMPLISHMENT – Space Planning
Program Learning Outcomes – Upon completion, students will be able to:
- Create a set of presentation schematic drawings for residential and commercial interior designs including plans, elevations and 3D computer renderings using computer software.
- Apply various color and lighting schemes to residential and commercial interior design projects.
- Design space plans for residential and commercial interiors that comply with current ADA and CALGreen Codes and barrier-free kitchen and bath design requirements.
INTRDGN 106 - Digital Drafting for Interior Designers (3 units)
INTRDGN 107 - Color Theory & Design (3 units)
INTRDGN 108 - Residential Space Planning (4 units)
INTRDGN 109 - Commercial Space Planning (4 units)
INTRDGN 110 - Lighting Design (3 units)
Total 17 Units